Motivational interviewing is a type of behavioral therapy that is proven to aid people in reducing addictive behaviors and building their motivation to create a healthy lifestyle. It focuses on identifying the areas that need changing and uses each person’s unique desires to motivate them to reach their goals. While there is no permanent cure for addiction, the skills you learn during a motivational interviewing program can motivate you to achieve a happy life.
Outreach Recovery is a full-service outpatient treatment center that welcomes people from all walks of life who are struggling with addiction and mental health issues. We use motivational interviewing treatments and other proven behavioral counseling techniques to teach patients new ways of managing their symptoms and preventing their cravings from consuming them. Our programs are tailored to the individual and can include medication to ease any disruptive symptoms. To learn more about motivational interviewing for mental health, contact our knowledgeable team today at 866.394.5007 to begin a conversation about improving your mental health.
What Is Motivational Interviewing?
Motivational interviewing is for men and women who have trouble finding the motivation to make critical changes in their lives. This type of behavioral therapy helps people resolve ambivalent feelings and insecurities and find the personal motivation to enact real change.
Motivational interviewing can treat a number of mental and physical health conditions, such as:
- Substance use disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders
- Major depressive disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Heart disease
Motivational interviewing is not for everyone. It is for individuals who have trouble finding the motivation to begin making changes to improve their health. Therapists will work with each patient to identify their needs and find the right motivations to increase their desire to reach their goals. It can also be useful in showing people the value of participating in counseling and how it can improve all aspects of their lives.
Outreach Recovery helps people struggling with addiction, depression, or other treatable mental health disorders. Our programs can include motivational interviewing along with other types of behavioral therapies, holistic therapies, and medication-assisted treatments.
Participating in a Motivational Interviewing Program for Mental Health
During a motivational interviewing program, therapists will encourage patients to talk about their personal reasons for change and build on those reasons to increase their motivation. Generally, this can happen over one or two sessions, but some patients may need additional sessions to build their motivation.
A motivational interviewing program for mental health focuses on four main principles to enact real change:
- Expression of empathy – Therapists will listen to the patient talk about their experiences and show genuine care and concern for them. This can help make the patient feel more relaxed and able to open up and get to the underlying reasons behind their lack of motivation.
- Support of self-efficacy – Patients will rediscover the power within them to make real changes, even if past attempts to change have failed. Therapists will encourage patients to continue with their progress by reiterating the skills and strengths they already have and reminding them of the progress they are making.
- Rolling with resistance – Real change can take time and often comes with setbacks. Therapists will work with patients during these difficult times and teach them to accept setbacks as part of the recovery process and not let them get discouraged.
- Development of discrepancy – Therapists will help patients identify discrepancies between their current situation and their future goals so they can reach them in a timely manner. Patients will learn to identify these discrepancies and develop effective ways to address them so they do not interfere with their progress.
Participating in motivational interviewing is essential for those who lack the motivation to change unhealthy habits and destructive patterns. This program can give people the confidence to reach their recovery goals and improve other aspects of their lives.
Call Outreach Recovery’s Motivational Interviewing Program to Make a Positive Change
At Outreach Recovery, our mission is to help men and women reach their recovery goals safely through our outpatient treatment programs. Our motivational interviewing treatment programs can give you the motivation to stop abusing drugs or alcohol and begin making other changes that support a healthy lifestyle.